When it comes to securing a position as an apprentice, the competition can be fierce, particularly in popular industries. Most potential employers are looking to employ a person who possesses certain qualities which will have a positive impact on the company.
As an apprentice, you will be starting from the bottom and working your way up to the top, and you will need to impress from the outset by proving your positive attributes. However, with so much to consider in an interview and application, it can be easy to forget what exactly they are looking for. We have compiles a list of qualities which are sure to impress any potential employers to bag you the career prospects you are looking for.
If you think you have the following qualities, success is guaranteed to be coming your way:
- Professional demeanour – Good manners and a professional demeanour are some of the most important qualities when representing a firm. Right from the interview, you need to make sure that you display your bets manners and present yourself in the utmost This includes shaking hands, making plenty of eye contact, asking polite questions and dressing appropriately.
- Communication skills – Communication skills are essential for most jobs; when it comes to getting along with your colleagues, impressing clients and learning the ropes quickly. Firms will also be likely to require someone who can potentially develop and convey the right messages verbally.
Strong communication skills will be evident in a good interview, so make sure you start as you mean to go on. Prepare some answers, do a practise interview and avoid using slang.
- Be observant – The more you observe, the better you learn. You need to be on your toes all the time when you are working as an apprentice, as you will be needed to use every tiny bit of information and details you grasp in your training. Being observant is rather a rare quality and if you can manage to accomplish it, you will definitely go ahead in both personal and professional spheres.
- Motivated – An apprentice is required to learn quickly, put all their efforts into their job and show signs that they are keen to progress within the company. Motivation is key to all these factors, and you will need to show that from the outset. You can do this by telling your potential employer where you see yourself progressing in the future and what you would like to achieve.
- Leadership qualities – Leadership qualities show your employer that you have the potential to progress within the company, and also that you are able to use your own initiative, which means that you will learn quickly and become independent in your work. You can show leadership qualities by giving examples of when you have led a team successfully, and by speaking with confidence in your interview.
- Punctual and reliable – Punctuality is one of the most important qualities when making the transition from education into the working world. Being punctual proves that you are a reliable person and that you can be trusted to be at work on time and working efficiently. Show your punctuality by arriving on time for your interview and every day at work, as well as taking the right break times. This will show your commitment to the apprenticeship and the company are more likely to trust you with more and more responsibilities as you prove yourself.
- Good IT and computer skills – Basic IT and computer skills is a must for most positions, and as an apprentice, the same is expected. Having these skills opens up many doors for you in the future and you will be able to work efficiently, building on the ground skills you already possess.
- Be skilled with people – You are young, fresh, out of school or college and as an apprentice you need to ensure that you know how to approach people. Being a people’s person is a quality that assists in making contacts, which is exactly how you help promote the business, as well as getting on with your colleagues and clients. Remember you will not be hired if you make no efforts to cooperate and get on well with others.
During your interview, do not hesitate to ask questions and show an interest in the role you are applying for as well as your potential future within the company. Being approachable and open to trying new things will help you ensure you that you are going the right direction as an apprentice.
admin June 16, 2017
Posted In: Uncategorized